WHERE: Christ Church United Methodist, 1717 Yulupa Ave., Just south of Hoen Ave.
OCTOBER SPEAKER: Neuropsychologist Lisa Grossman, Ph.D, will be the featured speaker at the Sat., Oct. 6th, meeting of the Parkinson's Support Group of Sonoma County. Dr. Grossman will focus on "Parkinson's Disease & Depression: Strategies for Improving Mood & Adjustment."
Dr. Grossman notes: "Depression is a common challenge for individuals who have Parkinson's Disease, and for their families and caregivers. This presentation will focus on identifying symptoms of depression, as well as ways to facilitate improved mood, coping and adjustment."
Dr. Lisa Grossman is a rehabilitation neuropsychologist with over fourteen years experience working with older adults, their families, and medical and rehabilitation staff. She has provided consultation, assessment and treatment in hospitals, extended care facilities, and rehabilitation settings as well as in her private practice. Her areas of expertise include dementias, traumatic brain injury, anxiety and mood disorders, individual adjustment to disability, caregiver issues, and psychosocial aspects of normal aging. She is currently in private practice in Santa Rosa, where she provides neuropsychological assessment, cognitive rehabilitation, psychotherapy, and family consultation. She also provides consultation services on the acute rehabilitation unit at Santa Rosa Memorial Hospital.
1. WEDNESDAY, OCT. 10 ALL DAY: PSGSC Fundraiser at MARY's Pizza Shack (Summerfield Rd.)
20% of your purchase will be donated to PSGSC when you present their flyer with your order. Flyers will be sent out again before Oct. 10 as well as flyers will be available at our Oct. 6 meeting. PSGSC will get 20% of Dine-In, Take-Out orders, or Delivery orders ALL DAY on WEDNESDAY, October 10. When printing the Flyers, they may be in color or in black and white. PRINT SEVERAL COPIES TO GIVE OUT TO FAMILY AND FRIENDS!!! The more people we get to attend our fundraiser on Wednesday, October 10, the more money PSGSC will receive. Please help us out and join us for a fun lunch/dinner/pizza delivery/etc. at Mary's Pizza Shack on Summerfield Road in Santa Rosa on October 10.
We will have a sign up sheet at our Saturday, October 6, meeting if people want to meet at a special time and reserve the back room to gather together for lunch. This, of course, is optional. Again, we will have copies of the coupon for you to pick up and distribute at our meeting on Saturday, October 6.
2. Please pick up a "NEEDS ASSESSMENT SURVEY" after you get your name tag at the meeting. Giving the Board your input will help us plan and set future goals for PSGSC.
3. There will be 4 Break-out sessions this month:
2) People with Parkinson's (two smaller groups)
3) Military Veterans with PD facilitated by Davis Brown
4. We have been selling "Tulip Pins," the national symbol of Parkinson's Disease, for $5.00. We will have them available at our meetings. This is an on-going fundraiser for PSGSC. Buy your pins!!
5. The DONATION JAR sent around at our general meetings helps PSGSC pay for the monthly meeting rental, storage space, and mailing address at the church, plus speaker stipends, copying of materials, etc. Thanks for your monthly donations!
6. Website: Don't forget that PSGSC has a website www.parkinsonsonomacounty.org where you will find our Mission Statement, Board Meeting Minutes, Meeting Announcements, resources, etc. Check it out!!
7. Next Month's Meeting:
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 3: Speaker Dr. Graham (Alec) Glass, Neurologist, UCSF Assistant Clinical Professor of Neurology, Deputy Director of Parkinson's and Movement Disorder's Clinic at VASF (Veteran's Hospital)
-Kathy Osbun, Chairman PSGSC