NEXT MEETING: March 14, 2020 — (2nd Saturday) 1-3:15 p.m.
SPEAKER: Barbara Corinblit, M.S., CCC SPL
Speech-Language Pathologist for 30 years, Certified in both LSVT®LOUD and Speak Out Communication Programs
TOPIC: Speech Therapy for those with PD
A discussion of speech problems faced by those with PD and strategies for speaking louder and communicating more clearly.
*We are piloting a Speech-Communication class for our group. Barbara will share her experiences and invite you to join this class in the future.
WHERE: Christ Church United Methodist, 1717 Yulupa Ave., Santa Rosa, Just south of Hoen Ave.
1. Introduction of PSGSC Board Members 2020:
Marc Alexander - VP & Program
Meg Alexander- Secretary
Marie Kay Hansen-Library & Caregivers
John Hamilton - Singing Group
Sandy Barrett - Facilitator
Susanna Kraus — New Member Welcome
Cheryl Fox - Email/Database & Crossroads Conference
Tess Lorraine - Group Facilitator & Crossroads Conference
Bill Jordan - Exercise
Judy Deas - Treasurer
Patrick Hardman —Audio/Visual
Nancy Wilson - President
2. Celebration of Life for David French on April 4, 2020, noon to 3 pm at Piner Youth Park on Fulton Road. More details to come by email.
3. Caregivers Group: For Caregivers of those with Lewy Body, PSP, MSA, CBD. Special Break-out group after speaker on 3/14/20, facilitated by Helen Medsger
4. ON-GOING CLASSES Come join one of our classes:
- DANCE FOR PARKINSON'S
DAYS: Second and Fourth Thursday of each month
PLACE: The Odd Fellows Hall (545 Pacific Ave. at Mendocino) Santa Rosa
COST: Suggested Donation: $10 per class
CONTACT: Nancy Wilson (707-888-5174) firstname.lastname@example.org
- PD SINGING CLASS
TIME: 10:00-11:00 a.m.
PLACE: The Odd Fellows Hall (545 Pacific Ave./Mendocino) Santa Rosa
COST: Suggested Donation: $5 per class
CONTACT: Steve DeLap (707) 694-2051 email@example.com
5. Check Tables at Entry for Exercise/Wellness options in 2020
6. VOLUNTEERING: Helping one another when we support PSGSC and our endeavors. See “Volunteer Opportunities” Board at Monthly Meeting to choose a small task that would help our group. Thank you.
We always appreciate your bringing food to share at our Monthly Meetings. Thank you.
7. ON-GOING FUNDRAISERS:
- OLIVER'S MARKET: Will contribute 3% of your purchases to PSGSC every time you shop and present an Oliver’s Community eScrip Card. Applications are available at our meeting sign-in table. All you have to do is turn in the paper to Oliver's Market and they will give you a card.
- AMAZONSMILE: If ordering from Amazon, please consider signing up on AmazonSmile. A percentage of your purchase is contributed to PSGSC.
- TULIP PINS: The tulip is the symbol for PD. We have tulip pins selling for $5. Available at our meetings.
8. DONATION JAR : We pass a Donation Jar at our general meetings. The donations help PSGSC pay for our meeting rental, storage space and mailing address at the church, plus speaker stipends, copying of materials, dance/singing classes, scholarships, etc. We have no dues or membership fees. Thank you for your monthly donations!
9. PLANNING AHEAD: Things to Consider
2020 is a new year, a new decade and the perfect time to make some good decisions
Ask yourself these questions. If the answer is no, think about getting started now. Tell us if you need assistance.
Do you have an Advance Health Care Directive (AHCD)?
Or Five Wishes?
Do you have a Physician’s Order for Life-Sustaining Treatment (POLST)?
Do you need an Emergency Medical Services Prehospital Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)?
Do you have a File of Life on your refrigerator (sticker on your door)?
Do you have an Aware in Care kit?
Are you communicating with your family about your values and what matters to you during this next part of your life?
Consider watching The Conversation Project —Ted Talk by Ellen Goodman, Pulitzer Prize winning columnist.
Check our library for Being Mortal by Atul Gawande or view his PBS video to understand more about important life choices.
Links to all on our website: parkinsonsonomacounty.org
Check our Library for new books/materials/clinical trials and info/DVDs of past speakers.
10.NEXT MEETING: April 11, 2020 (2nd Saturday)
Dance for PD Demonstration: Torri Campbell & Brigid Hoag
Yoga Demonstration: Brenda Kobrine
TOPIC: Creative Movement & Meditative Exercise
Nancy Wilson, 2020 President/Chair PSGSC, firstname.lastname@example.org