WHERE: Christ Church United Methodist, 1717 Yulupa Ave., Just south of Hoen Ave.
MARCH 2 SPEAKER: Some community resources & care options will be the focus of the guest panel which will provide overviews of the programs they represent and then do interactive Q&A. Each of our panelists has extensive experience working with people with Parkinson's and their families.
Liz Claret, Social Services Supervisor of the Adult and Aging divison of the Sonoma County Human Services Dept., will share info about the Multipurpose Senior Services Program (MSSP) and Linkages programs.
Joy Lovinger is on the Advisory Council of the Area Agency on Aging of Sonoma County, a certified administrator for residential care facilities for the elderly, and owner of Senior Placement Services. Senior Placement Service's mission is to help seniors & their families who are making critical lifestyle changes by evaluating each person's personal needs & wishes, including physical, mental, emotional & financial factors--and matching them with the very best living situation.
Dorothy Foster is a licensed Marriage & Family Therapist who is Clinical Supervisor and a family consultant at Redwood Caregiver Resource Center (RCRC). The RCRC is one of California's 11 Caregiver Resource Centers established in the 1980's to provide support to family members caring for a loved one with adult-onset disease that may cause cognitive impairment. In Dorothy's role as family consultant, she meets with family members one-on-one, leads support groups, teaches classes, & helps guide family caregivers, providing information on diseases & disease management, local resources, and encouraging caregivers to practice self-care.
1. We are in the process of updating our Membership Data Base. Please fill out the form on the table after getting your name tag at our March meeting. This is for ALL members. We need your current updated information.
2. April is Parkinson's Awareness Month. PUT WEDNESDAY, APRIL 10, ON YOUR CALENDARS FOR OUR MARY'S PIZZA SHACK FUNDRAISING EVENT FOR PSGSC. We will get 20% of Dine-in, Take-Out orders, or Delivery orders ALL day on Wednesday, April 10. We will be getting more information and the flyers out to you as the time gets closer. This fundraiser is ONLY at the Mary's Pizza Shack on Summerfield Road. Start planning a fun lunch/dinner/pizza delivery/etc. with family and friends at Mary's on Summerfield Rd. on April 10. We had such a good time at our last Mary's fundraiser last October.
3. We have been selling "Tulip Pins," the national symbol of Parkinson's Disease, for $5.00. We will have them available at our meetings. This is an on-going fundraiser for PSGSC. Buy your pins!!
4. The DONATION JAR sent around at our general meetings helps PSGSC pay for the monthly meeting rental, storage space, and mailing address at the church, plus speaker stipends, copying of materials, etc. Thanks for your monthly donations!
5. Website: Don't forget that PSGSC has a website www.parkinsonsonomacounty.org where you will find our Mission Statement, Board Meeting Minutes, Meeting Announcements, resources, etc. Check it out!!
6. APRIL Meeting: SATURDAY, APRIL 6... Meeting speaker will be Parkinson's Disease researcher and neurologist Allan Bernstein, M.D. To celebrate April as National Parkinson's Awareness Month, Dr. Bernstein will do interactive Q&A about symptoms, medications, treatments, & research.
7. May 4 meeting : Guest speaker for our May 4th meeting will be Lin Zhang, M.D., Ph.D, Associate Professor of Neurology & a Parkinson's Specialist, University of Davis School of Medicine.
-Kathy Osbun, Chairman PSGSC