NEXT MEETING: February 8, 2020 — (2nd Saturday) 1-3:15 p.m.
SPEAKER: Dr. George Triadafilopoulos TOPIC: “Parkinson’s Disease and the Gut”
WHERE: Christ Church United Methodist, 1717 Yulupa Ave., Santa Rosa Just south of Hoen Ave.
1. Celebration of Life for David French on April 4, 2020, noon to 3 pm at Piner Youth Park on Fulton Road. More details to come by email.
2. Caregivers Group: For Caregivers of those with Lewy Body, PSP, MSA, CBD. Special Break-out group after speaker on 2/8/20, facilitated by Helen Medsger
3. SCHOLARSHIP OFFERINGS: One of the purposes of PSGSC is to promote activities which benefit the Parkinson's Community. We are particularly committed to advocating for the wellness of people with Parkinson's (PWP). The PSGSC Board has extended our support to:
▪ LSVT-BIG, a movement therapy program.
Designed for PWP and given by trained and certified professionals. PSGSC has set aside limited tuition scholarship funding. Please let us know if you are interested, and we can get the process started for you.
4. ON-GOING CLASSES Come join one of our classes:
- DANCE FOR PARKINSON'S
DAYS: Second and Fourth Thursday of each month
TIME: 1:30-2:30 p.m.(Come early to get ready & stay for refreshments) PLACE: The Odd Fellows Hall (545 Pacific Ave. at Mendocino) Santa Rosa COST: Suggested Donation: $10 per class
CONTACT: Nancy Wilson (707-888-5174) firstname.lastname@example.org
- PD SINGING CLASS
DAYS: First & Third Friday of each month
TIME: 10:00-11:00 a.m.
PLACE: The Odd Fellows Hall (545 Pacific Ave./Mendocino) Santa Rosa COST: Suggested Donation: $5 per class
CONTACT: Steve DeLap (707) 694-2051 email@example.com
YMCA: New: GROUP EXERCISE FOR PWP: CHECK WITH YMCA FOR INFO.
VOLUNTEERING: Helping one another when we support PSGSC and our endeavors. See “Volunteer Opportunities” Board at Monthly Meeting. Thank you.
years, arranging Refreshments for our break time & special events. We are very grateful to her for this gift to our group. It is time for her to give up this position. We need someone to step up to volunteer for this position in 2020. Please talk to me at the break, or email me to let me know of your willingness to take this on—perhaps with a co- captain. There is a group willing to help on Meeting days, but we need a co-ordinator.
We always appreciate your bringing food to share at our Monthly Meetings. Thank you.
7. ON-GOING FUNDRAISERS:
- OLIVER'S MARKET: Will contribute 3% of your purchases to PSGSC every time you shop and present an Oliver’s Community eScrip Card. Applications are available at our meeting sign-in table. All you have to do is turn in the paper to Oliver's Market and they will give you a card.
- AMAZONSMILE: If ordering from Amazon, please consider signing up on AmazonSmile. A percentage of your purchase is contributed to PSGSC.
- TULIP PINS: The tulip is the symbol for PD. We have tulip pins selling for $5. Available at our meetings.
Check our Library for new books/materials/clinical trials and info/DVDs of past speakers. Ask for Being Mortal by Atul Gawande to join the conversation about important life choices. Please return your checked out books when you are finished.
10.NEXT MEETING: March 14, 2020 (2nd Saturday)
SPEAKER: Barbara Corinblit, Speech-Language Pathologist,
Certified in both LSVT®LOUD and Speak Out Communication Programs
TOPIC: Speech Therapy
*We are piloting a Speech-Communication class for our group. Barbara will share her experiences and invite you to join this class in the future.
11. WEBSITE: PSGSC has a website parkinsonsonomacounty.org
There you will find our Mission Statement, Board Meeting Minutes, Meeting Announcements, calendars, resources & events. Take a look!!
Nancy Wilson, 2020 President/Chair PSGSC