WHERE: Christ Church United Methodist, 1717 Yulupa Ave., Santa Rosa
Just south of Hoen Ave.
APRIL 6 SPEAKER: Cheryl Fox, RN, Fox & Associates Home Health
TOPIC: “What’s Next?”
Community Resources for the Highest Quality of Life Possible
Introduction to many topics, including “staying put”, moving and downsizing, life care and spiritual care planning; preparation for legal and medical decision-making; end-of-life decisions and issues to think about with your families.
1. THREE SCHOLARSHIP OFFERINGS: One of the purposes of PSGSC is to promote activities which benefit the Parkinson's Community. We are particularly committed to advocating for the wellness of People with Parkinson's (PWP). The PSGSC Board has decided to extend our support to:
- LSVT-LOUD, a speech therapy program,
- PARKINSON'S VOICE THERAPY (a program created by the Swain Center)
- LSVT-BIG, a movement therapy program.
- All are designed for PWP and given by trained and certified professionals. PSGSC has set aside limited tuition scholarship funding. Flyers will be available on the table at each meeting that explain the commitment involved in each program. We have revised the application form to make it easier to understand and fill out. Please let us know if you are interested, and we can get the process started for you.
2. ON-GOING CLASSES Come join one of our classes listed below:
- DANCE FOR PARKINSON'S - Please note that we are now offering THREE classes per month!!
DAYS: FIRST, SECOND & FOURTH THURSDAYS of the month
TIME: 1:30-2:30 p.m.(Come early to get ready and stay for refreshments) PLACE: THE ODD FELLOWS HALL (545 Pacific Ave. at Mendocino) Santa Rosa
COST: Suggested DONATION: $10 per class
CONTACT: Catherine Luther at (707) 765-1888 or email@example.com
A calendar of Dance Class dates is on our website.
- PD SINGING CLASS
DAYS: Every First & Third Fridays of the month
TIME: 10:00-11:00 a.m.
PLACE: THE ODD FELLOWS HALL (545 Pacific Ave. at Mendocino) Santa Rosa
COST: Suggested DONATION: $5 per class
CONTACT: Steve DeLap (707) 694-2051 firstname.lastname@example.org
3. FUNDRAISERS & EVENTS:
- HUMAN RACE: May 4, 2019: If you would like to walk or sponsor a member of PSGSC walking in this big Sonoma County event, please see Mike Siegel after the speakers finish their talk. He has request letters, sign-up forms, and donation information.
- SENIOR EXPO: April 27, 2019— 9 am-12 pm. Finley Complex, 2060 West College Ave., Santa Rosa, CA We will have a table at the Expo to provide information about PSGSC. If you would like to assist, please talk with Karen French after the speakers finish their talk.
- OLIVER'S MARKET: Will contribute 3% of your purchases to PSGSC every time you shop and present an OLIVER'S COMMUNITY eScrip CARD. Applications are available at our meeting. All you have to do is turn in the paper to Oliver's Market and they will give you a card.
- AMAZONSMILE: If ordering from AMAZON, please consider signing up on AMAZONSMILE then contribute to PSGSC for your AMAZON PURCHASES.
- TULIP PINS: The tulip is the symbol for PD. We have tulip pins selling for $5. They are available at our meetings.
Don't forget to check our Library for new books/materials/clinical trials and info/ DVDs of past speakers. Ask for Being Mortal by Atul Gawande to join the conversation. If you have any books checked out, please return them when you are finished. If you would like to volunteer to assist at the Library Table, please talk with Marie Kay Hansen.
5. AUDIO-VISUAL: Patrick Hardman manages our A-V equipment and sets up the equipment for our speakers. If you would like to become a back-up for Patrick, please contact him at the break.
6. DONATION JAR : We pass a Donation Jar at our general meetings. The donations help PSGSC pay for our meeting rental, storage space and mailing address at the church, plus speaker stipends, copying of materials, dance/ singing classes, scholarships, etc. We have no dues or membership fees. Thanks for your monthly donations!
7. NEXT MEETING: MAY 4, 2019
SPEAKERS: Janice Sternfeld & Brian Griffin
TOPIC: Advance Health Care Directive
An opportunity to see and work with the form, discuss options, ask questions.
8. WEBSITE: PSGSC has a website www.parkinsonsonomacounty.org
There you will find our Mission Statement, Board Meeting Minutes, Meeting Announcements, calendars, resources & events. Check it out!!
Nancy Wilson, 2019 President/Chair PSGSC