WHERE: Christ Church United Methodist, 1717 Yulupa Ave., Just south of Hoen Ave.
SPEAKER: Paul Larson, MD, Vice Chair neurosurgery UCSF and Chief neurosurgery service VA
Topic: Surgical treatment of PD
OTHER ANNOUNCEMENTS: APRIL IS PARKINSON'S AWARENESS MONTH
1. FUNDRAISING EVENT WEDNESDAY, APRIL 8 AT MARY'S PIZZA SHACK ON SUMMERFIELD RD.
PSGSC will get 20% of Dine-in, Take-Out, or Delivery orders ALL day on Wed., April 8. Below is the flyer/coupon that you MUST present with your meal. More coupons will be available at our Sat., April 4 meeting. Start planning a fun lunch /dinner/pizza delivery/etc. with family and friends. There will be a sign-up sheet at our April 4 meeting for all those that want to eat together for lunch in the party room at noon on Wed., April 8 (ONLY Mary's on Summerfield Rd.). Please make more copies of the coupon to give to family and friends.
Mary's Fundraiser: Flyer
2. FUNDRAISING EVENT SATURDAY, APRIL 18 AT 1:00 AT OUR REGULAR CHURCH MEETING LOCATION (1717 Yulupa Ave.).
We will be showing an inspirational documentary film called "RIDE WITH LARRY" about the refusal to give up. It features a former police captain and current baker with a community of supporters as he takes himself (affected by 19 years of PD) on a recumbent bicycle ride across South Dakota. There is no charge but DONATIONS are encouraged and welcome.
3. DANCE FOR PARKINSON'S
NEW CREATIVE MOVEMENT/DANCE CLASS
Our Parkinson's Support Group of Sonoma County is sponsoring a creative movement class modeled on the Dance for PD program developed by the Mark Morris Dance Group and the Brooklyn Parkinson Group.
DAYS: Every SECOND & FOURTH THURSDAYS of the month
TIME: 1:30-2:30 (Come early to get ready and stay for refreshments after)
PLACE: THE ODD FELLOWS HALL (545 Pacific Ave. at Mendocino) Santa Rosa
COST: Suggested DONATION of $10 per class
CONTACT: (707) 942-4234 or firstname.lastname@example.org
4. NEW SINGING GROUP FOR PEOPLE WITH PARKINSON'S
Sponsored by the Parkinson's Support Group of Sonoma County
Come join in the fun of music through singing to live accompaniment of piano or guitar. No musical or vocal experience necessary. People with Parkinson's will strengthen their voices through vocal exercises, breathing, and singing a variety of familiar songs.
WHO: ANYONE WITH PARKINSON'S
WHEN: FIRST and THIRD FRIDAYS OF EVERY MONTH
TIME: 10:00-11:00 AM
WHERE: 1615 CLEVELAND AVE. SANTA ROSA (Parking in lot after building on Foley St, or on Foley St.)
CONTACT: JAMIE BLUMENTHAL, MA, MT-BC (707-695-4145 or Jamie@northbaymusictherapy.com)
COST: $5.00 Suggested donation
5. New On-going Fundraiser: OLIVER'S MARKET WILL CONTRIBUTE 3% OF YOUR PURCHASES TO PSGSC EVERY TIME YOU SHOP AND PRESENT AN OLIVER'S COMMUNITY eScrip CARD. Applications will be available at our meeting. All you have to do is turn in the paper to Oliver's Market and they will give you a card. EASY!!
6. The Bard and the Balladeer performance on March 22 at Gaia's Garden Restaurant was an enjoyable musical experience with all donations going to PSGSC. $523.00 was raised with the funds going to help our new Singing Class (mentioned above).
7. Every TULIP PIN sold for $5.00 will now be added to PSGSC as fundraising profit. Keep buying tulip pins for family and friends!
8. There is a section in our library on the back tables labeled "CLINICAL TRIALS" information. Also, new books/materials/DVD's are frequently being added. If you have any books checked out, please return them when you are finished.
9. The DONATION JAR sent around at our general meetings helps PSGSC pay for the monthly meeting rental, storage space and mailing address at the church, plus speaker stipends, copying of materials, singing and dancing classes, etc. We have NO dues or membership fees. Thanks for your monthly donations!
10. NEXT MEETING: Saturday, May 2 with Gary Johanson, MD, Medical Director Memorial Hospice
Topic: Advanced Health Care Planning
11. Website: Don't forget that PSGSC has a website www.parkinsonsonomacounty.org where you will find our Mission Statement, Board Meeting Minutes, Meeting Announcements, resources, events etc. Check it out!!
Kathy Osbun, President/Chair PSGSC