PARKINSON'S SUPPORT GROUP OF SONOMA COUNTY
Next Meeting: Saturday, September 14, 2019,(Second Saturday)
from 1:00-3:15 p.m.
WHERE: Christ Church United Methodist, 1717 Yulupa Ave., Santa Rosa
Just south of Hoen Ave.
SPEAKER: Salima Brillman, MD, Neurologist, Movement Disorders Specialist in private practice in Menlo Park, CA
TOPIC: “PD: More Than a Movement Disorder”
1. SCHOLARSHIP OFFERINGS: One of the purposes of PSGSC is to promote activities which benefit the Parkinson's Community. We are particularly committed to advocating for the wellness of people with Parkinson's (PWP). The PSGSC Board has decided to extend our support to:
- LSVT-BIG, a movement therapy program.
- Designed for PWP and given by trained and certified professionals. PSGSC has set aside limited tuition scholarship funding. Please let us know if you are interested, and we can get the process started for you.
2. ON-GOING CLASSES Come join one of our classes:
- DANCE FOR PARKINSON'S - Please note that we are now offering THREE classes per month!!
DAYS: First, Second and Fourth Thursday of each month
TIME: 1:30-2:30 p.m.(Come early to get ready & stay for refreshments) PLACE: The Odd Fellows Hall (545 Pacific Ave. at Mendocino) Santa Rosa
COST: Suggested Donation: $10 per class
CONTACT: Nancy Wilson (707-888-5174) firstname.lastname@example.org
A calendar of Dance Class dates is on our website.
- PD SINGING CLASS
DAYS: First & Third Friday of each month
TIME: 10:00-11:00 a.m.
PLACE: The Odd Fellows Hall (545 Pacific Ave./Mendocino) Santa Rosa
COST: Suggested Donation: $5 per class
CONTACT: Steve DeLap (707) 694-2051 email@example.com
3. ON-GOING FUNDRAISERS:
- OLIVER'S MARKET: Will contribute 3% of your purchases to PSGSC every time you shop and present an Oliver’s Community eScrip Card. Applications are available at our meeting. All you have to do is turn in the paper to Oliver's Market and they will give you a card. (Papers are on the sign-in table.)
- AMAZONSMILE: If ordering from Amazon, please consider signing up on AmazonSmile. A percentage of your purchase is contributed to PSGSC.
- TULIP PINS: The tulip is the symbol for PD. We have tulip pins selling for $5. They are available at our meetings.
Check our Library for new books/materials/clinical trials and info/DVDs of past speakers. Ask for Being Mortal by Atul Gawande to join the conversation about important life choices. Please return your checked out books when you are finished.
5. AUDIO-VISUAL: Patrick Hardman manages our A-V equipment and sets up the equipment for our speakers. If you would like to become a back-up for Patrick, please contact him during a meeting.
6. DONATION JAR : We pass a Donation Jar at our general meetings. The donations help PSGSC pay for our meeting rental, storage space and mailing address at the church, plus speaker stipends, copying of materials, dance/singing classes, scholarships, etc. We have no dues or membership fees. Thank you for your monthly donations!
7. NEXT MEETING: October 5, 2019 — (1st Saturday)
SPEAKER: Suketu M. Khandhar, MD, Kaiser Comprehensive Movement Disorders Program, Sacramento
TOPIC: “Going Against the Grain-Changing Perceptions in PD Care”
Dr. Khandhar is returning to speak to our group about some new thinking about treatments for Parkinson’s. He is one of our most knowledgeable speakers. Come with your questions.
8. WEBSITE: PSGSC has a website parkinsonsonomacounty.org
There you will find our Mission Statement, Board Meeting Minutes, Meeting Announcements, calendars, resources & events. Take a look!!
Nancy Wilson, 2019 President/Chair PSGSC