David Getzoff, Sandy Grant, Kathy Osbun, Gloria Stubbs, Marc Alexander, Davida Brautman, Ed Brautman, Marie Kay Hansen, Nancy Wilson, Ann Walker and Barbara France
Art Rosenblum, Dana May Casperson, John Hamilton and Suzanne deKozan
Approval of Minutes:
The Minutes of the October 21, 2015, Board Meeting were approved with the following corrections: Under Outside Caregivers Group the last sentence should read: that Sandy knows of a caregivers group that includes men. And under Fundraising, David should be corrected to Davida.
Sandy reported income of $349, in the Donation Jar for the October meeting , and $.61 in interest, $282 for Leading Lady tickets and $2.76 profit on a Tulip Pin. Expenses were: $50 for set up and breakdown for the October meeting. The Dance for PD class had $718, in donations for three classes (one in September) and paid out $300, in instructor fees and $136, for the room rental. This leaves a plus of $282 for the Dance for PD class. The invoice for the Singing Group was received in November and will be paid in November. Net income for the month was $866.37, and net income for the year is $4630.85
When Sandy received the invoice for the printing of the new brochures, she and Kathy felt that the charge was significantly more than the estimate. Sandy found that the invoice we had received had been meant for another customer so a new invoice was issued. This invoice, too, was above the original estimate so Sandy spoke to the printer again and he discovered that we had been billed for 1000 brochures rather than the 500 we had ordered. We now have a $300 credit which we will use on the next printing of brochures.
Dance for PD: Nancy has spoken to the Odd Fellow Hall staff about continuing our Dance for PD through 2016, and they have agreed; the rental fee will remain the same. Nancy has also spoken to Tori’s group about continuing and checked that the insurance will carry on as well.
The Dance for PD group has attracted people who are not members of PSGSC but have heard about it from various sources that Nancy had contacted with fliers. Sandy contacts these people to invite them to our meetings and asks if they would like to be on the PSGSC mailing list.
Singing Class: Kathy has spoken to Jamie about continuing the Singing Class through 2016. The class continues to be comfortable in the present studio so it will remain there until overcrowding becomes an issue.
November Sharing Meeting:
Kathy, Sandy and Gloria all said that the feed back from those attending was positive. People enjoyed the time to have more than passing conversations with other members. Ideas taken from the meeting: Expensive things for sale weren’t successful but they might do better in a silent auction, and the raffle was fun and should be included next time. Kathy thought that it should not be an every year event but we should keep it in mind for 2017.
Break out groups:
Having someone direct traffic really helps with balancing the groups. Ed said that in his group there were several new patients who all participated and they were interested in DBS as well as medications. Ed said during the discussion of medications he reminded them that they should not start, stop or change medications or dosages without first speaking to their Physician.
December Holiday meeting:
This will be the second Saturday of the month. This will be a purely social event with a sing-along led by Jamie. Last meeting, Davida asked about the Dance for PD class doing something for entertainment as well. Nancy said the date wasn’t convenient for Tori’s group. Interest had also been expressed about having a Rocksteady demonstration. Kathy felt this wasn’t in keeping with the Holiday theme and could be worked into a meeting at another time.
This is a boxing type exercise class that has been developed for PD patients and has become quite popular nation wide. Greg, who leads one of the exercise classes at Memorial has been certified to lead Rocksteady classes here in Santa Rosa and several of our members attend his classes. One of them suggested we have Greg come to do a demonstration. After discussion it was decided that having Greg do a demonstration for the patient’s break out group would be a good idea. Kathy will speak to Greg about this.
Speakers for 2016:
Marc reported that three dates have been filled so far. Dr. Forsyth will speak in February about why we get Parkinson’s. In March, Dr. Galifianakis will talk about filling the gaps in PD treatment and in June, Dr. Thakkur will speak on new developments in PD treatment.
Publicity and Library:
Ann said we were running low on the first batch of brochures so we should order new ones soon.
Kathy said that the Church had notified her that at a recent fire inspection, it was discovered that our storage closet was too crowded and too close to a heater. They have moved our Library Cart and books to one of the slots where the tables are stored in their library area. The cart has been covered.
Gloria said that there were 45 attendees at the November meeting and five of these were new members. She followed up with each and found that they all responded positively to the sharing meeting. She will continue with contacting new people as it seemed a very worthwhile effort.
Movement Disorder Specialist:
Marc said that Dr. Thankkur, who will be speaking to the group in June, said that he knew of a Movement Disorder Specialist who would be interested in coming to Sonoma County. Marc and Suzanne are trying to coordinate with West County Health Center to see if that would be a good fit.
Nancy said that she has spoken to Tori about doing a Dance for PD program that could serve both as a fundraiser and publicity for the Dance for PD class. This should be accompanied with a newspaper article which Nancy is still trying to arrange. Invitations would be sent to local physicians and physical therapists because some have already sent patients to the class. It would be an opportunity for the class participants to share the program with their friends and families. Nancy will work further with Tori to come up with a more detailed plan for the event.
Nancy reported that the Grant proposal process is very complicated and we should consider it next year as she thinks the Dance class is something that would fit the criteria.
Ten tickets for “Sonoma County has Talent” were donated to the group and 6 were sold for $5 each. Those who used the tickets thought the talent show was enjoyable. PSGSC earned $30.
2016 Board Members:
With the exception of Dana May, all present Board members have indicated that they will remain on the Board for the next year. Our guest, Sandy Barrett, has volunteered to serve on the 2016 Board and she was welcomed by all present.
Long Range Planning:
We are continuing work on our goals of helping facilitators, welcoming new attendees and gathering health care provider information. In the area of fundraising, Nancy will work on an all purpose letter that could be sent out for year end contributions.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:45 a.m. The next Board meeting will be Wednesday, December 16, 2015, at the Brush Creek Senior Living.
Barbara France, Recording Secretary