Sandy Grant, Kathy Osbun, Gloria Stubbs, Davida Brautman, Ed Brautman, Marie Kay Hansen, John Hamilton, Ann Walker, Art Rosenblum, Suzanne deKozan, Marc Alexander and Barbara France
Dana May Casperson, David Getzoff and Nancy Wilson
The Minutes of the April 15, 2015 meeting were approved as read.
Income to April 15 included: $375 from Donation Jar, $10 individual donation, .57 interest, special events income of $235.00 for a total income of $786.91. Expenses: $9.75 printing costs, $100.00 meeting set up and take down, $13.03 Meeting supplies, $247.20 Attorney services, $75.00 Singing group expenses for total expenses of $136.98 leaving a net income of $649.93. The Dance class had an excess of $308.00 after expenses were deducted from donations.
Art verified that all statements match bank statements.
At present we have no one to video the speakers if John is unable to attend the meeting. Marc, Pat Hardman and Marie Kay have volunteered to learn how to do this so that they can step in to cover for John.
Nancy’s report to Kathy was that the Dance class continues to have around 30 participants per meeting. The donations have fallen off a bit so Nancy will compose an email that reminds participants that donations are important to the continuance of the class.
Kathy said there was only one class this month as Jaime was on vacation. Eight people attended the May class and all are enjoying the program. Jaime is very accommodating about music choices and providing large print lyrics sheets.
Marc is still trying to arrange a date with Dr. Khandhar.
Ed said that overall it went well at the May break-out session for patients. He did say that men are slower to participate and Kathy suggested having a list of prompts to get a conversation started. The speaker will usually provide some jumping off point for a discussion. John and Marc will be available to facilitate at the June 6 meeting.
Outside Caregivers Group:
Marie Kay said that the back room at the East West Cafe on Summerfield is working out well.
PANC puts out a Newsletter and they have contacted Kathy to provide an article about PSGSC. Nancy has written a very good article about the Dance Program so that will be appearing in the Newsletter.
Review of brochure changes:
Kathy reviewed the changes made to the brochure at the April meeting as well as the revised outside group list with their contacts which she sent out during the month. The content was approved. The question then was how many to print. We printed 1000 last time but these last a long time and if changes need to be made it is a very tedious and time consuming process so Kathy suggested printing fewer. This will incur some additional expense but the consensus was that it was a worthwhile cost. Kathy will take our information to the printer to see how much it will cost to have the new brochures printed.
Gloria said that there were 62 in attendance at the May meeting, of these 9 were new.
Gloria’s name tag box is becoming over full and having all names in one box causes a bottleneck at the reception table. She will divide the alphabet up into three groups in order to ease both these problems.
We have no word yet on the income from the Johnny Garlic’s fundraiser. It usually takes them about a month to process.
The Cameo Theatre showing of “Capturing Grace” had a total income of $2025.
The Agatha Christie theatre tickets donated to PSGSC for us to use as a fundraiser brought in $280.
The Bard and the Balladeer have contacted Kathy about doing another fundraiser in July but this time there would be a dinner/show price. After discussion it was decided that it would be too soon to have try this again. Kathy will get back to them and thank them again for their very successful fundraiser but decline this kind offer.
After the May meeting Dr. Johanson and Dorothy Foster spoke with Kathy about the lack of a movement disorder specialist in the area. She told them we had tried and were near the goal when the plan was shot down by the NICMA Board. Dr. Johanson suggested the Annadel group and Kathy asked Dana May to contact Dr Johanson for further information. Dana May was unable to attend today.
Suzanne said that the Palm Drive Hospital is reemerging as a specialty care center and Dr. Bernstein hopes there will be a neurology unit included.
Davis added that at his last appointment at the VA he spoke informally to his neurology resident Dr. Maya Katz about why we have no one in our area. Davis thinks that we should be investigating how to make our presence and needs known to residents going through the San Francisco hospitals. Davis noted that our information about the exact number of patients in the area is vague and we need to know how many patients are covered by Kaiser or the VA which would dilute the number that would support a specialist. He suggests that we start getting our information and efforts coordinated and that could begin with a meeting with Dr. Larsen, Dr. Bernstein, Dr. Katz, himself and Suzanne. Kathy will attend this meeting, if possible and would like Dana May to be there as well.
Marc said that trying to find out about current clinical trials is a very difficult endeavor because each group is pretty much to themselves and there is not central place where everyone reports what they currently have under way and at what stage the trail is. Over the past year Marc has been trying to put together a Clinical Trial listing for the North Bay and after much searching he has found 6 among the “listed” and a possible 6 more that are unlisted. These trials are currently recruiting participants.
Marc has contacted many people during this search and is finally seeing some results.
Do we need an outside facilitator? After a discussion Sandy made the motion that we will have a meeting devoted primarily to future planning with Kathy leading the discussion. Davida seconded the motion and it was passed on a voice vote with one no vote.
Sandy then made the motion that we dedicate the bulk of the June meeting to a planning session which will be continued as needed. Gloria seconded this morion which was passed on a voice vote.
The meeting was adjourned at 12:00 p.m. by Chair, Kathy Osbun. The next meeting will be Wednesday June 17, 2015 at the Brush Creek Senior Living at Brush Creek.
Barbara France, Recording Secretary