Kathy Osbun, Sandy Grant, Sandy Barrett, Davida Brautman, Marie Kay Hansen,
David Getzoff, John Hamilton, Nancy Wilson, Art Rosenblum, Gloria Stubbs and Suzanne deKozan
Ed Brautman, Ann Walker, Barbara France and Marc Alexander
CALL TO ORDER:
The regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the Parkinson’s Support Group of Sonoma County was called to order at 10:05 a.m. by Chair/President Kathy Osbun.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Art made a motion to approve the minutes. Davida seconded the motion.
The minutes were approved as read.
Profit and Loss Statement for March
Income: Sandy G. reported the Donation Jar for the March meeting was $319.00 interest earned was $.70, Oliver’s Community Card Program earned $42.27. Tickets sold for “Hallelujah Girls” was $180.00 and we sold 2 PD pins for a profit of $5.52. Total profit for the month was $547. 49.
Expenses: Dance Class expenses were $351.95,$50.00 for Meeting Setup and Takedown, $250.00 for facilities rental for the months of March and April, $70.00 for Singing Group expenses and $82.26 for checks and financial office supplies. Total expenses for the month were $804.21.
Net income for the month was ($256.72) Net income for the year is ($711.97)
Sandy G. reported she has two sets of figures for the Dance for Parkinson’s Class. One includes the $2054 that was left over from 2015 to use this year. The second set is for our 1st year celebration and any individual donations we’ve received for the dance class. This includes $600.00 we received in April which will be reflected in next month’s financials.
Changes to the balance sheet are as follows:
Cash accounts add up to $36.609.95. PD Pins was reduced by the sale of 2 pins for $3.68 Sales Tax Payable was increased by $.80. Net income is now at ($711.97) Sandy will make adjustments at end of year.
Art and David will meet with Sandy G. to do an Audit.
John made a motion to make a donation of $500.00 to PANC. Davida seconded the motion. The motion passed.
Nancy reported that the dance class continues to be very successful with many people being regular participants. She received some additional donations from the Dance Open House. Nancy continues to contact Chris Smith about an article in the Press Democrat about Parkinson Disease. She had hoped for a photographer from the paper. She has a photographer friend in Calistoga she will try to enlist to take pictures of the dance class.
Kathy reported that the singing class is going well but as more people join the class it is becoming crowded. Also, parking has become a problem. Kathy talked to Jamie about changing the venue to Odd Fellows Hall. It’s in the same building the dance class meets.There is a room available at the same times of 10:00 to 11:00 on the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month. Jamie looked at it and has agreed to change the meeting venue beginning on Friday, May 6, 2016. Davida made a motion to accept the change. Sandy B. seconded the motion. The motion passed. The rent will be $68.00 monthly. Nancy Wilson will contact PANC about including our Insurance coverage to include the room for singing
John felt that adding a microphone to the breakout group wasn’t that successful. Possibly repeating the question or comment would work as well. Sandy B. said that her breakout group went well.
Marie Kay is asking for bins that can be used to load books. They need to have
There was some concern that many members are not taking advantage of all the materials and books in the library. The Board talked about ideas to encourage better use of the materials. Suggestions included inviting members to write a review of some book they enjoyed and give a short synopsis of it. Sandy G. did one as an example. If members want to include a book review of their own, they will be invited to submit it to Sandy G. by email. One will be selected to be emailed to members. It will be sent separately from the Meeting emails. Our library has so many different types of informational materials from which members can choose.
Our last PD speaker spoke on Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS). This was not the subject the group had expected, but the Board agreed that Dr.Lising (a movement disorder specialist from Stanford) gave a good presentation.
Oakmont has dissolved its Parkinson’s Support Group meetings. John will ask Richard Duncan to include an article in the Oakmont paper and invite people to attend our meetings. Nancy Wilson volunteered to assist John in writing the article.
Gloria said there were 76 people at the April Meeting. There were 9 new members. She made phone calls to the new members who attended and filled out Database forms. All she was able to reach were positive and planned to return. She will leave her phone number so people who only had voice mail may respond if they choose.
Kathy hasn’t received the amount of money from our Mary’s Pizza Fundraiser yet. We had 16 people who met for lunch on April 6.
Nancy presented a tentative fundraising letter that we will refine and plan to mail out later in the Fall. It will include a brochure and a letter about all the programs PSGSC provides and the funding for these programs.
We will include our names and a personal note. We will email any other ideas we think we should include in the letter to Nancy.
Art Rosenblum’s church, The Unitarian Universal Congregation of Santa Rosa, donated half of their Sharing Basket to our Organization which amounted to over $700.00.
Human Race will be held May 7. Anyone who participates can ask that their
Pledge goes to PSGSC.
Suzanne spoke to the Board about a person who was to speak at our
April 20th Board Meeting but was unable to appear. A person from Scripps Institute wanted to ask for our help in setting up a Conference about stem cell research. The feeling of the Board was that since we’re an all volunteer organization and are involved in many other projects this was not a good match for us. The Board felt that we would, certainly, be supportive. If Scripps set up a conference in our community we would provide information to our membership through emails to help them.
Gloria Stubbs, Acting Secretary