Kathy Osbun, Gloria Stubbs, Ann Walker, Sandy Grant, Ed Brautman, Davida Brautman, John Hamilton, Marie Kay Hansen, Art Rosenblum, Suzanne deKozen, Marc Alexander, Dana May Casperson, Nancy Wilson and Barbara France
Call to Order:
The meeting of the Board of Directors of the Parkinson’s Support Group (PSGSC) was called to order by Chair, Kathy Osbun at 10:00 a.m.
Approval of Minutes:
The Minutes of the July 15 Board meeting were approved as read.
Sandy reviewed the Profit and Loss Statement. Total Income was $277.89 for the month. This included: $100 from an individual donation, $2.65 Oliver’s Community Card Program and $175.00 from special events. The total income for the year, January to July 15, was $3555.78. Expenses were $592.59. The net income for the month was a loss of $314.70. The net income for January to July 15 is $2971.06. Total Equity to July 31, is $35,230.67.
Dance Classes: Due to normal holiday scheduling the Dance class would have met for only one class in November and one class in December, but class members asked if a second class in each month could be added. Nancy has talked to the Hall management as well as Torri and it has been arranged that there will be two classes in each month. These classes will
take place on the 2nd and 3rd Thursdays of the month. Nancy also noted that class donations have been increasing.
Singing class: Kathy said that the Singing class is doing well with an attendance of between nine and eleven.
Member sharing meeting: Sandy sent out a questionnaire to gauge interest in having a meeting featuring hobbies and projects of members. There was a good response so we will go ahead with that as the program for the November meeting. After further discussion it was decided that we would include tables showing items that might make living with PD easier and resources for PWP who live alone. Whether or not to have a raffle is still under discussion.
Meeting Speakers: Marc said that Dr. Khandhar was a great success at the last meeting.
Dr. Kathleen Poston from Stanford will speak at the October meeting. She is a very good speaker and can speak on almost any aspect of PD. Marc asked if the Board had any preference on subject matter or to leave the topic as non-motor symptoms. It was agreed that non-motor symptoms would be a good topic.
Finding a Movement Disorders Specialist: We, once again, seem to have run into the brick wall in finding a specialist for our area. The economics are not supportive of a full time specialist and the various Hospitals and Medical Groups do not see it as a high priority largely due to economic concerns. Dr. Khandhar has thought that special training for Physical Therapists would be a step in the right direction toward better care. Suzanne said that Dr. Bernstein remains hopeful that some kind of Neurology clinic can happen at the new West County Health Center. Sandy will send out an email that will request people to state where they receive their health care. The email will explain that the information will be tallied only and not attached to names. This will help us see what the population is that might use a Movement Disorder Specialist.
Break out group facilitators: John said that he asked the group if there was something special anyone wanted to discuss. He found that there was a lot of interest in research; the group was interested in clinical trials and wanted a clearer understanding of the difference between animal and human trials. He thought this might be a good topic for a future speaker.
Both patient groups ran well at the last meeting. Ed helped direct traffic so that both groups were of more or less equal size. Marc noted that in a large group it is often difficult to hear.
John, Suzanne and Ed will be available to facilitate at the October 3 meeting.
Outside Caregivers Group: Marie Kay said that they are thinking about adding a second monthly meeting.
Microphone for speakers: The Church has a head set microphone which is easier to use and offers much better and more consistent amplification. Kathy has asked if we could use theirs but she has not heard back. If they were unwilling she wanted a discussion about buying our own. It was generally agreed that we needed to have our own. John will investigate the best quality that will work with our equipment and report back.
The new brochures are available for distribution.
Gloria distributed seven New Member packs at the July meeting. There were 92 in attendance at the last meeting and 11 of these were new patients. George Irizary underwent recent surgery and Gloria has a card for the Board to send.
Wednesday, October 7, is the date for the next Mary’s Pizza fundraiser.
Nancy will compose a generic letter that the group might use for various fundraisers. We might try a general fundraising letter at the end of the year when people make their annual donations.
Digital Support Group:
Marc reported that there is going to be a new digital support group that will be at www.myparkinsons.com. The group behind this website has created such support groups for other chronic medical conditions and now they are developing this website for PD. It has great possibilities so we should watch to see how it develops.
PWP living alone:
Suzanne said that she would like to find a speaker who could speak to the needs, challenges and resources for PWP who live alone. She will speak to Arlene about finding resources that she could have available at the November sharing meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 12:00 p.m. by Chair, Kathy Osbun. The next Board meeting will be Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at the Brush Creek Senior Living.
Barbara France, Recording Secretary