Kathy Osbun, Gloria Stubbs, Sandy Grant, Art Rosenblum, Nancy Wilson,
Sandy Barrett, John Hamilton. David Getzoff, Marie Kay Hansen, Davida Brautman, Marc Alexander, Suzanne deKozen and Barbara France
Ann Walker and Ed Brautman
Call to Order:
The regular meeting of the Parkinson’s Support Group of Sonoma County
(PSGSC) was called to order by Chair, Kathy Osbun at 10:00 a.m.
Sandy G. reported that February income included: Donation jar $469; ticket
sales from “Love Letters” $205; tulip pins $8.27 and $.61 interest. Total income for the month was $682.88. Expenses were increased due to yearly payments for various items: Mailbox rental for the year $200; Facilities rental included storage rental for the year, $300 plus $250 for February and March room rental. Dance for PD net cost was $90 for the month; printing and copying was $85; set up and take down for February meeting $50; gift for Dana May Casperson for her services to the board, $30; Singing group net cost for January and February, $171; office supplies, $45.64. Toal expenses for the month were $1,311.64.
Net income for the month was ($628.76). Net income for January and February was ($455.25)
Dance for PD: Despite the terrible weather the Dance Open House held on
March 12, was an event enjoyed by both the participants and audience. There was a lot of positive feed back and future support seems assured. Nancy approved the rental for the room for the Open House in the amount of $320. Since money spent over $100 should have Board approval, Kathy and Sandy G. made an executive decision to approve the amount pending the Board meeting.
Sandy G. made the motion to approve the expenditure of $320 for the room rental for the Dance Open House, Gloria seconded the motion which was passed by a voice vote.
We paid $320 room rental and $150 for the instructors and the donation jar brought in $376, leaving a cost of $90.
Nancy had contacted Chris Smith about the event. Chris was unable to attend the Saturday Open House but he went to the Thursday class meeting where they were practicing their routine for the Open House. He was quite interested and Nancy thought there was a good chance that he will bring photographers to a future class and have something in his column. Nancy told him that April was Parkinson’s Awareness Month so she is hopeful that this will come about.
Nancy asked for discussion about printing another set of post cards which detail the Dance for PD program and list the class schedule. These can be handed out to various venues to advertise the class as well as reminders for the class members.
Singing Group: The Singing Group had 15 people at the last class and that definitely filled the room to capacity so it is time to consider a new venue. Jamie said that she could manage the logistics of leading the class in another location and Kathy discussed with her our desires for the new location. Jamie is going to look for a place and report back to Kathy. It was suggested that one of the smaller rooms at the Odd Fellows Hall might suit our needs. People are familiar with the Odd Fellows Hall, there is plenty of parking and it has easy and safe access. Nancy will ask about the cost of such a room and Kathy will suggest that to Jamie if her search is not successful.
Facilitators: The speaker was very good and the break-out groups went well at the March meeting.
John said that he will bring one of his own hand held microphones to the next meeting to try out in the break out group. He said there are certain difficulties using such a microphone so it would be good to have a trial run before investing in one.
Marc and Sandy B. will act as facilitators for April and John will work with the microphone.
Speakers: Marc reported that Melanie Lising,MD will speak at the April meeting about hospitalization, drug interactions, mood, cognitive and sleep disorders. He reviewed the tentative schedule for future speakers and will have further details at the next meeting.
Library: Marie Kay said the the Library is not being used very much and asked for suggestions to increase awareness. She thought a book report once a month might increase interest. After discussion it was decided that Kathy would include a list of new and/or interesting titles to the email reminder that goes out a monthly. Sandy G. will once a month send out an email with a book review written by anyone who has read a book that seemed of particular interest to our group. All reviews should be given to Sandy G. who will then have a selection for future months.
There were 72 at the March meeting with 10 new people. Gloria was not
able to contact each one but she will continue trying. Those she reached gave positive feed back and she collected the health care provider information for our survey.
Mary’s Pizza: The fundraiser will be April 6. Kathy will have 50 coupons printed and these will be available at the April Meeting. Emails containing notices and the coupons will be sent out and coupons will be available on the website as well.
Theatre: We have been given 18 tickets to “Hallelujah Girls” at the Wells Fargo Center. Six remain.
Library Displays: Marc and Sandy B. will take Parkinson’s Awareness Month materials to as many Libraries for display as possible.
Art’s Church, the Unitarian Universalist Congregation, Santa Rosa, will donate half of their Sharing Basket on the first Sunday in April.
Human Race will be held May 7. Anyone wishing to participate can ask that their pledges go to PSGSC.
Movement Disorder Specialist:
Rumors persist that Kaiser is looking for a Movement Disorder Specialist.
Marc will ask Allison Lou who is a PT trained by Dr. Khandhar. Marc has emailed information to Dr. Bernstein that he had learned about a
Movement Disorder Specialist who is interested in Sonoma County. He has not had a response from Dr. Bernstein.
Marc reported that there is a UCSF Clinical Trial for Palliative and Supportive Care. He will put out a flyer.
Suzanne showed a short video made by Sherry Gould. Sherry is a Nurse Partitioner at Scripps in Torrey Pines CA. She works with Parkinson’s patients and is interested in research being done at the clinic on stem cells. The study has finished trials on mice and hopes to move on to primates. Sherry is involved in fundraising for this project. Suzanne wanted discussion about whether PSGSC could help out in this effort. After discussion Suzanne said that she would bring further information and write up a proposal on how PSGSC could be supportive in this effort. We will consider this at future meetings.
The Board also felt that the 60 Minute segment about stem cell fraud perpetrated on PWP that promises a cure merited being sent out to the entire email list.
The meeting was adjourned at 12:00 p.m. The next Board meeting will be
Wednesday April 20, 2016 at the Brush Creek Senior Living.