January 20, 2016
Sandy Grant, Art Rosenblum, Kathy Osbun, Gloria Stubbs, David Getzoff, Ann Walker, John Hamilton, Marie Kay Hansen, Nancy Wilson and Barbara France
Davida Brautman, Ed Brautman, Dana May Casperson, Marc Alexander and Suzanne deKozan
Call to Order:
The Annual meeting of the Directors of the Parkinson’s Support Group of Sonoma County (PSGSC) was called to order by Chair, Kathy Osbun at 10:00 a.m.
Election of Board Members and Officers:
The following Board of Directors of PSGSC were unanimously elected for 2016:
Gloria Stubbs, Art Rosenblum, Ann Walker, David Getzoff, Sandy Barrett, Suzanne deKozan, Davida Brautman, Ed Brautman, John Hamilton, Marie Kay Hansen and Nancy Wilson
The following were unanimously elected as Officers of PSGSC for 2016:
Chair: Kathy Osbun, Treasurer: Sandy Grant, Recording Secretary: Barbara France and Vice Chair and Program Coordinator: Marc Alexander.
Kathy thanked the Board for volunteering to serve for the next year and welcomed Sandy Barrett as a new Board member.
Kathy then noted that Dana May had retired from the Board this year and wanted to thank her for her many contributions over the years she served on the Board. Dana May was especially active in the long and continuing search to bring a movement disorder specialist to our area. She was also active in fund raising efforts and she brought the idea of the tulip pins to fruition. Gloria will present her with a card and thank you gift from the Board.
The Annual Meeting was adjourned at 10:15.
Minutes of the Board of Directors
of the Parkinson’s Support Group of Sonoma County
January 20, 2016
Call to Order:
The Regular meeting of the Board of Directors of the Parkinson’s Support Group of Sonoma County (PSGSC) was called to order by Chair, Kathy Osbun at 10:15 a.m.
Approval of Minutes:
The Minutes of the December 16, 2015 meeting were approved as read.
Sandy reported that income for the month included $46 in the donation jar from the Holiday party, $1000 donation from Vicki Hamilton from the Edwards Foundation, $.66 interest, $59.17 from the Oliver’s Community Card and $150.00 for “Other People’s Money” tickets.
Expenses were $122.83 for the Holiday Party which included entertainment and decorations. Singing group income was $166 for November and December and we paid the instructor $360. Depreciation, a non-cash expense item for 2015 was $229.92
The net income for the month was $(1749.92) while net income for the year is $2794.45.
At the end of the year the dance class brought in $2954 more than we had in expenses. Since, at the beginning of the next year, the Profit and Loss Statement is zeroed with the net income going to the Equity account, Sandy preserved the extra monies for the dance class, in a liability account on the balance sheet to be used in the future
Sandy reviewed actual income to budgeted and we exceeded income estimates. The expenses were less than budgeted. Sandy will be preparing the 2016 budget and asked that members contact her with items they want included.
Art verified that all presented financial statements match bank statements.
Dance for PD: Sandy suggested that we raise the fees we pay to each of the three instructors for the Dance for PD class. We presently pay them $50 each per session. We have the money from Dance for PD fundraisers and we have income from the donation jar at each session. After discussion, Art made the motion that we pay each of the three instructors $75 per class session. Ann seconded the motion which was passed on a voice vote.
Singing class: Kathy reported that the attendance remains between 8 and 11 people. There has been a suggestion that we publicize the group more to the general group. Suzanne felt that many thought it might be just a singing class but Jamie does breathing and voice exercises as well that are beneficial to PWP. Since the group is nearing maximum capacity bringing in more members would require finding a larger venue for the class. This would make it more difficult for Jamie as she has everything right at hand in her studio. Suggestions for alternate venues were the Church where we hold general meetings or the Odd Fellows Hall which has rooms of various sizes. The Church and the Odd Fellows Halls have easier access than Jamie’s studio and that is a consideration for PWP. Small class size has its benefits so perhaps we could have a second session that met on the weeks alternating with the ongoing class. Kathy said that she would talk to Jamie about our thoughts for bringing more people into the program and see what her feelings and suggestions might be. Marie Kay suggested that if we do decide to make the effort to involve more people that we have Jamie meet with the PWP break out group and demonstrate the exercises and music that is included in a typical class.
Rocksteady: Greg, the physical therapist from Memorial PD exercise class, will meet with the PWP breakout group at the February meeting. He will bring fliers that outline all pertinent information about time, place and cost. Kathy also received an email telling her that there is also a Rocksteady class in Petaluma and Greg will have information about that as well.
At present Rocksteady is not a class that PSGSC is sponsoring, We are presenting it as another exercise option for PWP. If, in the future, there is enough interest and there is a way that PSGSC could facilitate a class for our members we will review the question.
Marc has speakers engaged for most of 2016. The months of April, October and November are open at present. In February, John Forsayeth PhD will speak on “Why we get Parkinson’s”.
Sandy G. will order brochures this month.
Gloria talks to all new PWP attending meetings. She gathers information for the data base which includes their health care source which is used only to compile information to help in our search to bring a Movements Disorder Specialist to our area.
Theatre tickets: Sandy has two tickets remaining to “Other’s
People’s Money”. We have sold 24 of the 26 available thus far. We have been given these tickets by the North Bay Stage Company throughout the year. We have raised well over $900 this year from the ticket sales. Gloria will send John DeGaetano with the North Bay Stage Company a thank you card.
Dance for PD: Nancy wanted discussion of possible dates for a Dance with PD fund raiser. It will be 2 hours and will include information about the class and the benefits to PWP as well as demonstration of a typical class. There will be time for socializing and refreshments. The Odd Fellows Hall has quite a large room that has a grand piano and lots of space for the demonstration as well as an audience.
We would invite family and friends as well as physicians and physical therapists. Nancy has found that in the past physicians have referred patients to the group so it is worth while to acquaint as many of them as we can with the program. After discussion, there was consensus that March 12 or 13 would be first choice dates. Nancy will confer with Torri’s group and the Odd Fellows Hall. The time would be 2-4 p.m. Nancy suggested that we print up cards that gives all relevant information about the Dance for PD Program to hand out.
Recruitment for Movement Disorder Specialist:
Kathy has heard a rumor, and so far it is only a rumor, that Kaiser may be interviewing for a Movement Disorder Specialist for Santa Rosa or San Rafael. David said he would check with Ann’s Dr. to see if she knows anything that she can share.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:45 a.m. The next Board meeting will be Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at the Brush Creek Senior Living.
Respectfully submitted, Barbara France